Building off the early success of this project in it’s second incarnation, I started to dismantle the old telescope base and reuse the wood which, conveniently enough, was just the right size.
First up, I ripped apart the top of the old base and installed those planks cross-wise on the bottom of the rover to give it lateral support. With the extra strength and weight of these planks, this thing already feels more stable than the old base!
Once the slats were glued and nailed in place, I detached the wheels and mounted them (with the help of a few pieces of tubafore and onebafore) exactly like they were on the old base. Then, I grabbed the first version of my leg vise for the workbench, sitting in a corner all neglected, and put it to good use.
This will be the base that supports the front of the contraption and provides a spot for the handle. It kinda looks like the tongue on a trailer. But it’s carved with my initials and I’m happy it’s going to be put to use! Once off the bench, I added a little block of onebafore across the tip, to give the planned leveling foot some purchase (just a t-nut and carriage bolt, really).
And I couldn’t resist—in the last few minutes of shop time, I simply dropped the upper part of the hiss drive onto the lower to get a quick visual. Nothing is attached yet, but I’m liking the looks of ‘er already!