So I finally got some time to do another test of the modded camera, this time with the filter in place. I did the same thing I did for the first (filterless) test: that is, I aimed out the side garage window and focused on the trees across my backyard, approximately 45 yards away.
You can see instantly that this single frame pulled out of the test video shows the filter is indeed working…everything looks normal! Except there’s no leaves this time—fall sure hit fast!—just the bark of a branch.
Additionally, you can clearly see the dead zones where I got too much superglue on the sensor in the bottom left and upper right corners. I was initially disappointed by this, but upon reflection on how tiny a workspace I had to deal with, I’m pretty happy I didn’t ruin the entire sensor! We’re talking superglue drops on the tip of a toothpick here…Also, there’s still some dust on the surface of the filter, which I have reduced by blowing air down the camera tube but I haven’t eliminated all the dust. Assuming my planetary images don’t land right on the dust spots, I’ll be fine.
And of course it’s supposed to be cloudy tomorrow morning and raining. Ugh. I can’t wait to really give this camera a “live” target!